[CTS] Vista

  • From: "Charles R. Buchanan" <daphatbell@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: computertalkshop@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 31 Mar 2007 11:04:48 -0700

Finally got it yesterday and installed it last night. The install went
ok, except like XP, it did not recognize none of my hard drives! :-(
However, it (Windows) finally lets you browse cd/dvd's for drivers
instead of hitting F6 and using a floppy!

So far the only real complaint(s) I have is unless the program
specifically has the option to install a icon on the quick launch,
you're out of luck! . Well at least I haven't found a way to do it yet.

Also, I'm having a weird time with the sound system. I can hear sounds
out of all speakers when Vista boots up, but after you log in, there's
only sound in two! :-O  I installed the drivers and programs for the SB
Live 5.1 card and it said it installed correctly, but I can not run the
Surround sound mixer because Creative says it can't locate the card! :-O

I installed WinAmp, and all the speakers work! <twilight zone theme>

Vista only shows two speakers. Anyway, I have been planning for months
now to buy a new sound card, so I guess one is in my future I guess! :-O

The internet connection seems a lot crisper. Even with all the eye candy
stuff turned on, it's still as fast, and some cases faster than XP in
most cases.

It has what is called Windows Sidebar with "gadgets" (Clock, weather,
RSS, CPU usage readout and more) and what I thought was cool is, when
using dual monitors, the sidebar moves to the second monitor, which
gives you a view of the sidebar without either having it on top all the
time, or hidden.

While I have the basic programs installed (Firefox, Mailwasher Pro, AVG
Free, Becky) the only hiccups is, when a program doesn't meet Vista's
standard (for lack of a better term), it will "elevate" the program so
you can install it. I still have to install Kerio though. I have been
letting the windows firewall handle things, but it haven't asked me if I
wanted to allow anything as yet. Maybe I have to tell it to ask me huh?
:-)

Also it seems that they did listen to the beta testers as far as the
dual booting concerns were concerned. It configured it perfectly.
Granted I don't have Linux on this computer anymore (and is not planned
in the near future), it would insteresting to say the least, although it
shouldn't be a problem.

So overall, while I wouldn't have run out and bought Vista as this time,
(in case that makes you wonder, I traded  Office 2007 for it) I am kind
of surprised that I haven't had the same problems I had when XP came out.
A few things could have been done better though. Getting at
files/programs on different drives takes some getting use to, I have
Salamander 2.0 installed, and so I don't have to use the Vista apps like
Windows Explorer or what have you.

I'm considering ordering the 64bit dvd and install that, but I want to
be sure I will be able to un-install it and re-install the 32bit version
(if things don't go well with the 64bit version) without jumping through
hoops with M$.

Well that's all I can think of right now. Open for questions if you have
them.

For what is a man, what has he got?
If not himself, then he has naught
To say the things he truly feels and not the words of one who kneels

 ** YOUR HELP IS URGENTLY NEEDED **
DONATE to Hurricane Katrina victims: http://www.redcross.org/
DONATE Housing (Spare room, shelter) http://www.hurricanehousing.org/

List HowTo: http://www.computertalkshop.com/faq.htm