[brailleblaster] Re: Thoughts on the Specification

  • From: Alex Jurgensen <asquared21@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Dec 2010 12:46:41 -0800

Hi John,

Although I see the benefits to having the same look and feel across multiple
OS's, I would disagree with Braille Blaster being one of a kind when it comes
to how we should design the look and feel. Many cross-platform applications try
to have one look and feel across many OS's.

Not to put the guys at AbiSee down, but their IPal software is a good example
of code that was literally yanked from the Windows world and put onto the Mac.
It is probably the most extreme example of UI inconsistency in the realm of Mac
assistive technology that I have ever seen, and while I understand that they
made this decision in order to save development time, the result is that the
program takes longer to learn and become familiar with.

It is my opinion that things like keyboard commands and key UI elements should
be considered on each OS.

I believe that this would allow users to seamlessly integrate Braille Blaster
into their native OS's without needing to worry about learning a new way of
using the menu structures or window layouts.

Some small adjustments on each OS can go a long way towards this.

I am willing to assist with the Mac side of this.

Let me know what you think.

Regards,
Alex,