[brailleblaster] Re: Thoughts on the Specification

  • From: Michael Whapples <mwhapples@xxxxxxx>
  • To: brailleblaster@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2010 13:47:14 +0000

Hello,
The following may be interesting for you to read http://www.cups.org/articles.php?L179+TFAQ+Q. You can see how Apple are trying to increase the desirability of there systems by letting people who develop for their platforms have more freedom.

I am not fully sure how licensing is for BrailleBlaster which isn't directly going to use cups, I suspect that BrailleBlaster doesn't need to be GPLed. My reasoning goes, we are using SWT to access the platform's printing system, we do not explicitly depend on cups as SWT supports other printing APIs like the windows one so we wouldn't know whether the user is using BrailleBlaster with cups. I do believe GPL allows this particularly as we aren't shipping the GPL software with our product, so we aren't even pushing the user towards using cups.

Drivers may be a bit of a different matter, but if they are cups drivers then they are totally separate from BrailleBlaster as they can be shipped separately and use by other applications which can use cups, etc. In short, cups is the user of the driver not the application.

Michael Whapples
On 10/12/10 01:34, John Gardner wrote:
The specs say that a user should be able to maximize either the DAISY or
Braille view to cover the other.  Or put them side by side.

On another topic - there has been some discussion about printer drivers.  It
should be straightforward to use ViewPlus printer/embossers with the Windows
version of BrailleBlaster.  All ViewPlus printer/embosser users have Tiger
ttf fonts installed, and it should be easy to set up a template so that the
right ones are being used to tell the ViewPlus machine which character to
print and which to emboss.  Otherwise, BrailleBlaster is just another
Windows ap and should print/emboss just fine.  However I personally don't
know much at all about printing with Mac or Linux.  I have been told that
CUPS is what one should use for Linux.  I remember reading about CUPS many
years ago, and all I remember is that it is GPL-licensed and that the
license fee for use in a commercial non-GPL printer driver is many thousands
of dollars per year.  So what is another way?

John G

On 2010-12-09, at 1:59 AM, Michael Whapples wrote:

Hello,
I don't think having the Braille and daisy views as top level windows
with there own menus would be very natural. Firstly it doesn't really
fit with any other GUI application I can think of, normally they either
modify available menu options depending on the current view or they grey
out unavailable options. So as greyed out options are fairly "normal" to
encounter I don't see why they would be confusing. Then there is the
case of platforms where menus aren't actually in the window but get
placed by applications in a system menu bar like in Mac OSX (NOTE: SWT
will automatically handle this for you). As an example of the Mac
situation, in safari the web browser, even when I go to its preferences
all menu options are still there but ones which are irrelevant to
preferences (eg. the option to show/hide the status bar) are greyed out.

Also the idea of two top level windows being present in one application
at the same time just seems odd to me, I couldn't imagine it would look
right (it would probably look like two separate applications). Then what
happens when there are more documents opened, your description seems to
give me more top level windows and more clutter of the desktop. Then
there is the situation of "I am working on a document in BrailleBlaster,
I have finished on that document so I close the document but keeping
BrailleBlaster open as I want to work on another document", what do I
encounter at the point when BrailleBlaster has no open documents? Having
the document views as child elements of a "BrailleBlaster appliccation
top level window" I would be left with an empty BrailleBlaster window
containing only the menus and toolbars (IE. no sub windows), allowing me
to go to the menu and choose open document or new or whatever task I
want to do. Also with my idea of the view, multiple documents would just
lead to more sub views, the desktop only ever has one BrailleBlaster top
level window.

Now one thing which might be desired is a shortcut pop-up menu specific
to each view. What I mean is one of those context menus which are
activated by right clicking the mouse of a UI element (use the
applications key or may be shift+f10 and on Mac with voiceover
vo+shift+m). In these context menus only the options relevant to that
element would be shown.

Michael Whapples
On 09/12/10 04:55, John J. Boyer wrote:
This sounds good. My understanding was that the Daisy and Braille
windows would each have their own menus. The specification doesn't say
so explicitly, but it seemed reasonable, since some things would be
possible in one window and some things in another. If the Daisy and
Braille windows are embedded in a top window with the menus, status bar
and toolbar, the grayed-out options could be confusing and frustrating
for the user. Is this actually the way it will be?

So the print and embosser previews are basically big dialog boxes. I
don't remember anyone saying they should be open continually. They are
opened when needed.

I don't think BrailleBlsster should display multiple documents
simultaneously, since it already has two views for each document.
Rather, when a user switched to another document these view would be
changed for that document.

The Daisy and Braille windows should prbably be called views instead,
especially if they don't contain their own menus.

John

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 08:45:53PM +0000, Michael Whapples wrote:
We seem to be getting a whole jumble of things here. A window is a
very
generic thing. A dialog is a type of window, normally used to show
messages or let users select options. A dialog is not embedded in the
top level window but can be such that it prevents the user going back
the main window. A dialog might not cover the main application top
level
window. Then there are child windows (they may have another name)
which
usually is embedded into the top level window. These may be used for
multiple documents (eg. MS Word has been known to work like this I
don't
know about their latest version). Finally then there are what I am
calling a top level window, these don't have any other window
containing
them.

My feeling is:
* BrailleBlaster will have a top level window containing the menus and
such like which are common to all situations.
* The daisy viewer and Braille viewers will be child windows or may be
even panes within a child window or may be this will all work on the
tab
idea. Anyway the main idea is these will be embedded into the top
level
window.
* Print and preview will be dialog boxes as these are both actions
(IE.
I go to print/emboss a document or I go and view how it will be
printed). I see no reason why print preview would need to be open
continually.

Michael Whapples
On 08/12/10 20:13, John J. Boyer wrote:
I've never actually looked at a print preview window. Has anyone seen
an
embosser preview window? I would think that programs would handle
preview by opening a temporary window that either hides the existing
window or minimizes them.

John

On Wed, Dec 08, 2010 at 12:27:33PM -0600, qubit wrote:
Regarding What happens to the windows when a print preview is
active:
I wonder if opening a new window is a good idea.
I am growing to like one feature in eclipse's UI: eclipse will cycle
through
all the various windows if you hold control and type F7 repeatedly.
It has a lot of rather busy windows.  I wonder what it looks like to
sighted person.

As for print preview, I have no idea what to do if you are embossing
document.  The image in the braille window doesn't necessarily look
like
the
output of the device.  Do the various embossers provide any kind of
API
for
knowing what the braille will look like?
Also, if viewing it on screen, you are further limited by the
display
capabilities.

Interesting question.  But do you really want there to be a hard
coded
window for print preview, print  and emboss?  Couldn't it just be
like
most
apps that put a command for print and emboss and print preview in
the file
menu? That could bring up a dialog.
Just wondering.
--le