[bookshare-discuss] Re: Newbie Questions / file formats

  • From: "Tiffany H. Jessen" <tjessen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 20:37:55 -0400

Since you're looking for portability, I would suggest getting either a book
port or book carrier. Not only do they support txt and brf files and convert
them into speech, but if you had audio files in mp3 or wav, they support
those formats as well.
As a slightly cheaper go-around, if you already have openbook or kurzweil,
you can use these programs to convert your document into audio files, and
then use a mainstreamed mp3 player to listen to your books.
The one problem is that audio mp3 formats take up quite a bit more space, so
either you won't be able to hold as many books at a time, or you'd have to
spend more money for a device for a higher capacity.
I was originally going to go that rout, but by the time I figured in the
price of a higher capacity machine, plus the fact that I would have to
convert my books from brf or rtf into mp3 before transferring the files to
the other device, I figured it was a lot easier to buy a book port.
Since the device supports so many formats, it not only saved me the time of
conversion, but it also ends up fitting a lot more books in a smaller space.
Last month I went away for ten days, so I brought 20-25 books, plus my
entire music collection on a single card the size of a match box.
Tiffany