[bookshare-discuss] Newbie Questions / file formats

  • From: Debbie Pomerance <dpomeran@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Sep 2004 18:15:32 -0400

Hi -

I am a prospective joiner of Bookshare and I have a few questions about
file formats that I hope I can get answeres to.

I understand that the two file formats available are braille, and
Daisy.  Daisy allows you to read it off of your screen, or to magnify it
enough (in my case) in order to read it.

Ideally, what I would like to  have is the same portability I currently
have with the LOC taped books, i.e., bring it along with me and listen
while I am walking.  To this end I need the capability to convert the Daisy
files into .mp3 or .wav files so that I can play them on an Ipod-type
device.  I have done some web searching and cannot find utilities to
convert daisy files.

Is this type of conversion built into daisy - can one say - save in a
different format?

I am assuming that there are  free / shareware type utilities out
there for this conversion - I would think not enough demand for commercial
entities.

All help is greatly appreciated.

Debbie