[bookshare-discuss] Re: How Many NLS Members? (was) Re: Bad scan Wheel of Time 3

  • From: Tony Baechler <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 19 Feb 2006 00:42:57 -0800

Hi. This is very interesting. What do you mean that you get magazines via email? Do you mean generally available mailing lists or something else? I know you can get some NLS magazines that way but they're for the public. You can have it send you email when a new issue is posted but there isn't an easy way to actually get the magazine. Also, what do you mean by errors in Web-Braille? With the older books, that's natural because they are scans but I've never found an error in the newer titles. Also, to give another example of why bookshare is better than NLS, Shelley just scanned and submitted the John Dunning book about vintage radio. It's literally an encyclopedia and is many hundreds of pages. NLS has it but only on cassette. It is three huge containers and I think 28 sides or more. It's impossible to find anything, the index itself takes up the first side. Maybe that's 28 cassettes, I'm not sure now. Anyway, it should be up on bookshare now in one big file. That is vastly easier to search than all those cassettes. Thanks to Shelley for scanning it!

At 08:01 PM 2/18/2006, you wrote:

I get some magazines in my email, some on cassette, and books online, and
some through the mail.  I love having the freedom of choosing what I want to
read and if it isn't available, than I make it available.

Web Braille is nice, but they also have errors, just not as many.  Course
doing transcription, I can see why it takes months, and sometimes years for
books to become available.