[bookshare-discuss] How Many NLS Members? (was) Re: Bad scan Wheel of Time 3

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 09:36:04 -0800

This reminds me of a question I've been meaning to ask: Does anyone here have any idea what proportion of Bookshare members are NLS members? I was reminded because _The Dragon Reborn_ as well as all the other Wheel of Time books except _Knife of Dreams_ are available from NLS.

I would expect that anyone eligible for Bookshare membership should be eligible for NLS membership except for people who are not U.S. citizens? Are there any other categories of people who can get Bookshare but not NLS? Are there people who can get NLS but not Bookshare?

I am curious because there are some really great books which are not on Bookshare which are available from NLS. If the number of Bookshare members who are not - or cannot be - NLS members is very small, then I don't know whether it would be worth the time and effort to scan books that are already available there. But if - for whatever reason - a substantial minority - I don't know what fraction that would be exactly - aren't able to get books from NLS, then these books should be scanned even though they are available there. My first inclination is to want to put up books which aren't available anywhere else, either NLS or RFB&
D; RFB&D I don't think should count, though, but perhaps it should? I don't know. But I would be willing to scan some books that I feel should be accessible and put them up here if there are a lot of people who can't get them from NLS. Sorry, but I'm not inclined to do it just for people who simply prefer reading in Braille, though. I'm an avid Braille reader myself, but if something is already available on tape, then that's how I read it.

There are already quite a few books up here which are recorded from NLS, maybe because people didn't know they were available, or because they didn't want to wait the inordinate amount of time NLS seems to take. I have submitted books for that reason myself. But books that are already available from NLS and which are not yet on Bookshare are the ones I'm talking about, or, in the case of _The Dragon Reborn_, books which seem to have quality problems.

Thanks for any insights. I would imagine this has been discussed here before. I would expect that the issue of duplicating work done by other services has been brought up here, but it was before my time. If so, sorry for bringing it up again, but maybe someone could give me the gist of what the thinking was about this.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Tony Baechler" <bookshare@xxxxxxxxxxxx>