[bookshare-discuss] Re: How Many NLS Members? (was) Re: Bad scan Wheel of Time 3

  • From: Mike Pietruk <pietruk@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookshare-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 16:29:47 -0500 (EST)

Kellie

Thanks for so eloquently stating the situation.  Each service has its
place and fits the needs of specific users at given times.
The only real overlap is between Web Braille and BookShare when something
is already available in Web Braille.
For that reason, I too wouldn't scan something already in the Web Braille
collection
but wouldn't stop scanning something that wasn't there yet just because it
might eventually be a part of Web Braille.
Let's be glad that so many reading alternatives do exist and that even
more will be created.
Ideally, at some point down the road, technology will have reached the
stage where some of the current delivery methods are deemed obsolete
thanks to electronic conversions at the time of production.
I know that Benetech is interested in seeing this as that would make tens
of thousands of books available each year ra ther than the few thousand
now.
So even ?Bookshare itself views the current means of collection building
as a temporary interim step not the final solution.