[bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

  • From: Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 17:05:12 -0500 (CDT)

Part of the problem with teh whole speech synthesis debate is that what sounds good is incredibly subjective. Currently, at least to my knowledge, the Double Talk, Triple Talk and DecTalk are the only three hardware synths out there. I may well be wrong on this one.

Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, James Nuttall wrote:

Hello Bruce:

Since you guys seem to know something about technology perhaps you can answer
some of my concerns.
Over the life of the Double Talk synthesizer has it gone through some upgrades
in voice quality?
Are other people developing text-to-speech on a chip? I have found very limited
information on the internet. The Double Talk is often listed as about the only
product out there.
When I compare for example the Double Talk to the old DecTalk of my Kurzweil
system it sounds a lot better than the DecTalk. I'm just trying to gage the
development to text-to-speech on a chip. Someday I hope we will have also great
speech-to-text on a chip.

Jim -- Michigan

Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
I honestly fail to understand people's assertions that the suggestions I
made, or that even just the addition of more firmware space, would turn
the BP into a PDA or computer. I honestly believe that if people would
look at some of these suggestions they would see them for what they are,
extension of existing functionality. Newer technology tends to be more
battery-efficient, not less, and more firmware space would not require the
building in of fans into the system. I respect your cautionary approach
when it comes to updating the technology, and when I say that the BP uses
very old technology it is not at all a put-down. As I have said, I am a
huge fan of the Book Port, and am only interested in seeing a good thing
get better.
Bruce