[bookport] Re: bookport needs a speaker:

  • From: Bruce Toews <dogriver@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bookport@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 16:09:42 -0500 (CDT)

I honestly fail to understand people's assertions that the suggestions I made, or that even just the addition of more firmware space, would turn the BP into a PDA or computer. I honestly believe that if people would look at some of these suggestions they would see them for what they are, extension of existing functionality. Newer technology tends to be more battery-efficient, not less, and more firmware space would not require the building in of fans into the system. I respect your cautionary approach when it comes to updating the technology, and when I say that the BP uses very old technology it is not at all a put-down. As I have said, I am a huge fan of the Book Port, and am only interested in seeing a good thing get better.
Bruce

--
Bruce Toews
E-mail and MSN/Windows Messenger: dogriver@xxxxxxxx

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005, Chris Hill wrote:

Hmmm, I wouldn't criticize the technology as being very old.  Have you
looked inside other consumer devices to see what they are using?  I
think you would be quite surprised.  Many older processors get new
lives in comsumer electronics and continue in production long after
computers featuring them are in the landfill.  Remember, this is a
consumer electronic device, not a computer.  We wouldn't like it if
the battery had to be replaced daily or it needed a heatsink and fan
just to read books now, would we?

On Tue, 6 Sep 2005 11:44:03 -0500 (CDT), you wrote:

The reality of the situation, though, is that the BP is using very old
technology. A new unit is inevitable, dropping of support for the existing
unit may be a ways off, but that oo is inevitable. That is the way with
all technology, and the BP can't be isolated in that respect. I remember
when teh KPR came out. There was much excitement at the time because the
software came on a cartridge and could be updated. There was one upgrade,
after which Kurzweil abandoned the product. It's a reality we're going to
have to face, and we can either embrace it or go out screaming.

Bruce