[blindreplay] Re: rmc 6 and screen readers.

  • From: "Petro Giannakopoulos" <petrogia@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <blindreplay@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 24 Feb 2015 18:36:06 -0500

RMC6 using NVDA and Windows XP or Vista did very well with RMC6 Settings
area and I never lost focus. For example, NVDA always read back to me
whether a switch was on or off within any of the settings found within its
five tab property sheets like in the Personalization, Output folder,
Internet Download, Audio Recordings, DVR and Naming tabs. But with JAWS
after a certain amount of time has passed it will lose focus with the main
tab controls (Home, Guides, Schedule, Settings, Get Support) and the
Settings interface will lose focus as the user has no idea if a control is
on or off (enabled / disabled). In the settings it would say it some places
'1' instead of switch is on / off. I really have not checked to see if the 1
means ON and possibly 0 means OFF. When I was learning about computers it
used to mean 0 meant off and 1 meant ON but not sure here. As a blind PC
user I have to find ways to find a fix so I used NVDA to set my settings as
it does a better job handling this then JAWS. If the blind user only uses
JAWS tell them to exit RMC6 and re-run RMC6 and go to the settings area and
set his settings before focused is lost. I told someone at Applian I would
give RMC6 a grade of C a few weeks ago but since that time I would give it a
grade of B- because of the available keyboard shortcuts and the ability to
import media files into the list view box which allows one to convert those
files. The RMC6 program does work and captures what I need to capture. I
have no way of knowing if there are more issues when using Windows 7 64 bit
OS.
On the main user interface if you want to know if the Audio Recorder
recording mode is at the stert recording or stop recording position simply
press shift+tab and tab to re-hear the mode or use alt+r to start reocrding
and press alt+r again to stop recording while using the Audio Recorder. If
you are using the Stream Downloader use alt+x and pay attention to the sound
affect beep and alt+x to stop the stream downloader mode to stop capturing.
If one is having an issue finding the list view box / area where the
captured files appear tell the user to press ctrl+l to go to the URL field
and then tab 3 times and press the up arrow and you will hear the list box
contents. This works for me. Or look for the show in folder or properties on
the main user interface and shift+tab and you will find the list box view.
Who are these other users who have issues with RMC6? Tell them to contact me
by email message. If you cannot find the list view contents you can go to
the hard drive folder where your captures are stored. There while in the
list you can press your F5 key to examine the file size progress download
size and listen to your computer for the sound beeps RMC6 will make when
each and every capture is finished for you. Again I do not know if there are
significant issues using RMC6 with Windows 7. As a blind PC user I have to
find alternative methods / skills to use a particular piece of software. I
did mention the focus issues to Applian but I understand it could be the
screen reader at some fault too. The RMC6 Guides tab control and its usage
needs work / improvements when it comes to using it. To import a file into
RMC6 use alt+i keystroke as drag n drop is difficult. Please pass this on to
any mailing list you are a member of to assist the blind RMC6 user.