[bksvol-discuss] Re: txt page breaks redux

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 20:17:39 -0600

Just some things to ponder before you take the axe to all books with no page
breaks, regardless of the quality of their text. A lot of people expressed the
idea that they didn't much care about page breaks, that they
could navigate just fine without them, especially if the book in question was
your basic novel, very unlikely to be used as a reference book by anyone.
There is an assumption that all the books that are rejected are going to be
rescanned. For those of you who like to toss off figures about how quickly you
can scan and prevalidate a book, and who are thus ready to
help reduce the backlog by rejecting the hapless books with no page breaks in
them, does that then mean that you're also going to scan replacement copies? Or
is the assumption that the original submitter will see the
error of his or her ways and rescan and submit those titles including page
breaks this time? I find that to be a very dubious assumption.
Finally, since Marissa said there would be something forthcoming from BookShare
hq on this topic probably by the end of the week, I think it would be better to
wait and see what they have to say before a wholesale
search and destroy operation is begun.
 Remember, the last word we had from Marissa regarding this topic, at least as
I recalll, was that page breaks alone were not cause for rejection; and I
believe she also said that one of the members on this list who had
a lot of older scans that may be missing those page breaks should still submit
them.   So if its ok for them to be submitted, then it would seem to be not ok
to reject based on an absence of page breaks alone.
Mary