[bksvol-discuss] Re: ten validations

  • From: Tony Baechler <tony@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 14 Jun 2005 21:31:23 -0700

Hi. That's good for you! That means $5 off your next renewal, and that always helps. However, I would like to suggest something. I don't mean to dampen your spirits or anything, but please do a thorough spell check to remove scanning errors. Some of them can be easily fixed with a search and replace, like the split words, but often the only way to find scanning errors is with a full reading through and using a spell checker. In this regard, I have a custom dictionary for Word that I have developed. It has both American and British spellings and has greatly helped me lately in validating. Here are a couple examples of what I mean:

"Erie Stanley Gardner"
The above should be Erle, but the scanner missed it.

1 think 1 should.
The "1" should be "I."  This is somewhat common.

So, whc did it?
The "whc" should be "who."  This isn't quite so common but still happens.

The other thing to watch for is random punctuation marks which don't really belong. The way I'm handling them is to replace them with "z" so they show up as being spelled wrong. Examples are |, *, \, and ^. You have to be careful though since sometimes they are supposed to be there. Other things to watch for are "rn" instead of "m." One thing that bugs me is when someone is talking about, for example, "the modem way." This should obviously be modern. Another thing is when sites get mangled, like www.startrek.corn. Since corn is a real word, it's hard for spell checkers to find it. It's a little funny though in science fiction when people pick up the corn unit.

Again, I don't mean to be critical and I am not saying that you don't do these things already, but I hope you don't just fly through the books and not check for some of these basic things. I personally only read books which interest me except for kids books. For basic children's books and some really dry textbooks, I always read them all the way through. Even with the children's books I read them because they are short. I now always check for and remove split words. An easy way to do this is to replace both "^-" and "-^l" in Word with nothing. The first is an optional hyphen, the second is a dash followed by a newline. My custom dictionary is available for anyone who wants it, just ask and I'll send you a zip file.

At 11:01 AM 6/14/2005 -0600, you wrote:
I just wanted to tell you all that I have now had ten validations credited
to me.  Thanks Gustavo.  I know it's not as much as some of you, but this
took a lot of hard work.  Unfortunately, I had to reject a lot of books in
the process.  Thanks to all your hard work!

Tony Baechler Maintainer, goldenaudio.net (TM) online archives http://goldenaudio.net/