[bksvol-discuss] Re: ten validations

  • From: "Jake Brownell" <jabrown@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 04:04:24 -0500

Hey Tony,
    I think sometimes in the past when those of us with high standards post
about it on the list, newbies can get confused as to what is required and
what is not. I think Dave was attempting to point out that each person will
have his/her style of validating and that you were describing yours. I know
you said they were suggestions, but again people can easily become confused
and overwelmed if they are new.

Like the following you wrote:

"Again, I don't mean to be critical and I am not saying that you don't do
these things already, but I hope you don't just fly through the books and
not check for some of these basic things."

Referring to some of the procedures you describe as basic is a bit of an
understatement I think to some people. I know some BookShare users that
don't know how to use Find and Replace, so calling that basic seems a bit of
a stretch.

I wouldn't call flying through the books someone who just checks for the
basics. Validation as evident by the amount of credit it is worth is
supposed to be an easy task and shouldn't require any of the work you
describe.

Now having said all that, I would have to agree with a lot of what you said
in your message. I hold myself to quite high standards, although I hate
spell checkers and won't touch the damn things unless its a school paper.

Hopefully I have made a little sense to why perhaps Dave's reminder was
appropriate.

Best,
Jake