[bksvol-discuss] Re: submitter Adrienne Asch

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 17 May 2007 07:47:53 -0400

Folks, I may be blunt. Please take the following and add more courtesy and politeness (grin) while keeping my meaning.

Bookshare's collection needs to include quality scans, particularly scans of nonfiction books. I know this comment implies a bias.

If someone takes the time to submit a book, the book needs to be in a form which can be validated in perhaps four times the time it takes to scan. Thus twenty hours of validating is about all I will give a book personally.

Somebody who submits book after book in relatively poor shape needs to either learn to use the tools in her software better or, if too busy, needs to get someone else to do the scan who knows enough to hold the binding down close to the margin so words are kept at the beginning or ends of lines. Geesh! These latest books are dealing with subjects not part of the NLS collection and topics which may well be valuable to students and researchers. Students time and that of researchers needs to be respected by giving them books in the collection in better shape.

E.