[bksvol-discuss] Re: friends don't let friends date Jason

  • From: "Jackie McBride" <abletec@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 25 Jun 2008 15:54:13 -0700

Wussup w/that? Do these people have no pride, or do they think just
because they're blind, everything they do should be lauded &
applauded, including wiping their own hiney? Sorry--as my furbys would
say, "joke, wah!". But it does aggravate me--can ya tell? Ya think?
Whatever happened to, "if something's worth doing, it's worth doing
well"? The whole thing just boggles what little mind I've got left. &
it's completely beyond my understanding.

To me, it's like scripting. If I need access to a program, I might
write a few quick & dirty scripts in order to do that. But if I'm
gonna share scripts w/others, unless they need that access quickly &
just want what I've got immediately, then I'm gonna clean 'em up,
bullet-proof 'em as best I can, make good help files, message files,
put all my constants in a header & generally bring 'em up to Freedom
Scientific's standards.

I just got finished w/a project like that. I deliberately undercharged
the person (because he was just a student paying for scripts out of
his own pocket) but I still did those extra things so that hopefully
he'd experience no difficulties w/my scripts. Because, really, if it's
worth doing, then it's worth doing well. & whether he paid me what it
was worth or didn't pay me at all or somewhere in between, he deserved
my best efforts on his behalf. & if folks won't give that to
Bookshare, I wish they'd just 86 it. But folks bust their chops in
order to validate these people's garbage, so they end up getting the
credits they want, all thanks to the great validators who could have
probably gotten 2 or 3 really goodsubmissions into the collection for
the time they spent workin on the 1 crappy 1. I got burned once by
that particular person. Never again! & it's something we as validators
might want to consider--do we want to spend the time & effort it takes
to clean up a crappy submission or do we simply nuke it on grounds of
poor quality & maybe get 2 submissions in for the time it would take
to clean up the garbage-can 1? Obviously it's a decision every1's
gotta make, & I used to try to pull off the heroics & clean up the
garbage, too, but realized pretty quickly I wasn't doing any1,
including me, a service, so I quit. Maybe if these people get enough
rejection notices... & then again, maybe not. But I do congratulate
the validators who try so hard to clean up such messes. They're truly
heroic.

On 6/25/08, E. <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> The other famous poor submitter is an instructor of braille no less.
>
> E.

Change the world--1 deed at a time
Jackie McBride
Check out my homepage at: