[bksvol-discuss] Re: books found on other services

  • From: "Evan Reese" <mentat1@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 19 Nov 2007 19:32:26 -0800

There is also another issue: Whenever NLS changes its formats, many books are left behind - never to be accessible again. This happened when they stopped sending out records and it will happen again when they stop lending cassettes. The same thing happened with RFB&D books on cassette. I picked up a few that were on cassette that are not yet on CD, but I missed some too - probably some that I haven't thought of yet. Just last Thursday, I was saddened to discover that I couldn't find two books I like very much that they recorded years ago on tape that are now no longer available because they are not on CD. NLS has one of them on tape, but the other is not accessible anywhere at this time. I hope to fix that early next year by submitting it to Bookshare.

With Bookshare books, I would expect that whatever new file formats are created and adopted, there will likely always be devices that can read brf files and devices that will read old versions of Daisy files. Or even if that is not the case, the rtf files that Bookshare has of all submitted books can be reprocessed into any new format that comes along. In short, no more orphaned books; or it is to be hoped, anyway.

Evan

----- Original Message ----- From: "Lori Castner" <loralee.castner@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>