[bksvol-discuss] adult ratings Re: Re: Uh oh -- re weird, Adult rating

  • From: Shayla Parker <shayla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 00:14:23 -0800

This is neither here nor there, but I've always been more than a little amused by the Bookshare adult rating system. Automated checker or not, it's always seemed quite arbitrary to me, particularly as it more often than not depends on the discression of an individual validator. I highly suspect that what I consider to be adult content and what some other validators think is adult content are very different things.

Though, personally, I find the entire concept to be vaguely pointless. There's an underlying assumption in this sort of system about people's inability to deal with complex topics that is in the end more than a little paternalistic. If people don't want to read a particular sort of book that's one thing, and for that I suppose the system is useful. But telling young people what they should and shouldn't read is an inherently flawed idea, as is the whole concept of 'look away! look away! bad things in the book will leap off the page and infect you!'

I imagine it's partly a legal issue for Bookshare, though, which is a shame really because more than one excellent book I remember fondly from my teenage years is out of reach of Bookshare's younger members. I have no suggestions on how to make the rating process more intuitive, or even more uniform as it clearly is not now. So in the end I am entirely unhelpful except to muddy the waters a little bit.
skp

At 10:05 PM 1/16/2005, you wrote:

Sue,

Yes, but the way the bookshare site works is that adult rated books should
not show up without logging in.  Not only can I see them when I'm not logged
in, but the adult rating is totally missing.