[bksvol-discuss] Re: adult ratings Re: Re: Uh oh -- re weird, Adult rating

  • From: Shayla Parker <shayla@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 15:45:17 -0800

My point is not about what individual members choose to do. My point is about how the system works--how individual books are considered to be adult or not. What people do with their own reading time is not my concern--what choices they are given in the first place is interesting, though.

At 02:20 PM 1/17/2005, you wrote:

-But people have the choice of signing up not to
receive Adult-rated books or not, so it isn't really
censorship on the part of Bookshare. If parents want
their under-18-aged chlildren to be able to access
*everything* on bookshare, can they take the
membership in their own names as their children's
guardians?

Maybe the age limit should be lowered from 18 to 16,
or the form should be changed so that Parents' Consent
could be added. I'm not a member and so haven't seen
the application form, so I don't know what's on it and
what isn't, I admit.

Gently they go, the beautiful, the tender, the kind; Quietly they go, the intelligent, the witty, the brave. I know. But I do not approve. And I am not resigned.

-- 'Dirge Without Music', Edna St. Vincent Millay

Ring the bells that still can ring,
forget your perfect offering,
there is a crack in everything,
that's how the light gets in.