[bksvol-discuss] Re: adult ratings Re: Re: Uh oh -- re weird, Adult rating

  • From: "Allison" <alwaysallie@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "Volunteer List" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 17 Jan 2005 19:01:49 -0500

I'm trying not to take a strong position on adult ratings one way or
another, but this topic brought something to mind.  A lil story that may
provide some insight into the nature of kids.

My friend Jenna's mom worked in a book store. On days that she had to work
and Jenna was off school, Jenna would go up there with her and hang out.
Sometimes I'd go over there with them. I remember when I was about nine, and Jenna eight, she took me to the back of the store to look at some books with some
pictures of naked people in them. We did it very secretly, with a lot of giggling, and with a good
deal of relish over this forbidden fruit. As I remember it, the book wasn't
even terribly exciting. I think it was an anatomy book, or maybe one of
those growing up type ones. The pictures were hardly scandalous. But to
us, they were the height of mysterious adult literature. Look at all those parts! We eventually
outlived the amusement, put the book back, and no one else was none the
wiser. As far as I know, neither Jenna nor I have suffered any lasting
damage from such a venture. It was just the experience of two kids, existing in the generally unsensored world we live in.

Just some food for thought.

Allison.

----- Original Message ----- From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>