[bksvol-discuss] Re: Validating

  • From: talmage@xxxxxxxxxx
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 25 May 2004 19:23:34 -0400

Hi Julie,

No, No, No!!!
That's my point, they won't get credit for the book, so if someone is having problems with a text file, they should release it for someone else to work with rather than rejecting it and resubmitting as a RTF file. That is of course, unless they are the original submitter. For some reason, text files seem to cause more consternation than any other file types. There are messages reporting that text files don't retain page breaks, tabs, etc. This is of course nonsense, text files have been around 40 years or more, and the tab and page break are part of the ANSI standard for text files. On top of all that, page breaks and tabs are ASCII values that have been with us since the days of teletypes. What someone is actually saying when they say that text files strip out page breaks is that they don't know how to handle them in the software they have chosen to edit the file, or they are using the wrong program, or they are trying to do it on the wrong platform. (i.e. Apple has always done some non-standard stuff with text files) Now it is true text files won't handle fonts, colors, etc. The bottom line however, is that someone has scanned the book, they saved it as a text file, and they should get credit for their effort.
Now I know I answered, or lectured, on more than you asked, but this whole thread seems to have taken on a life of its own, and is causing confusion as to the original issue.

Dave

At 04:55 PM 5/25/2004, you wrote:

Hi, Dave. OK...so let me see if I have this straight. If someone validates a
book, rejects the original copy and resubmits a different format of the same
copy, the original submitter still gets credit? How could that be if their
copy was rejected? Take care.
Julie Morales
Email and Windows/MSN Messenger:
inlovewithchrist@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
If your dog is fat, you aren't getting enough exercise. --Unknown
The reason a dog has so many friends is that he wags his tail instead of his
tongue. --Anonymous