[bksvol-discuss] Validating

  • From: Cindy R <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Apr 2004 12:02:08 -0700 (PDT)

--Liz,

Enjoy your vacation -- or is it just a break from
bookshare  work? Whatever, enjoy the respite.

Validating is *easy!* Since you read and correct
before submitting, it's basically the same thing. We
don't edit, just proofread. If you pick a book you'd
like to read, it's fun. If it's a book you're not so
interested in, it's not so much fun, but you're
working for a good cause and it's still easy.

There are a lmited number of rules, or guidelines.
Don't leave hyphenated words that aren't supposed to
be hyphenated at the ends of lines or the ends of
pages. Close the word and put it either on the line
with the first part or the line with the second part
--of the page with one or the other.

Supposedly bookshare automatically deletes chapter
headings and books headings that are on every page,
but they don't do that if the heading is on the same
ine as the page number. I delete them myself. It's
really not a lot of trouble.

Of course, eliminate all the end-of-line garbage --
or, in some cases, it's at the beginning of the line,
from discussions I've read here.

It was established, finally, that if page numbers are
at the top of the page, they should appear on the
first line, and then a line space before the text. If
pn the bottom of the page, there should be a line
space after the text and then the page number. Because
people have said that it's important to them if
they're using the book for research or to write papers
to have correct pagination, and they sometimes think
they're missing something if page sequence is out of
order, if there's a blank page (e.g., before new
chapters or sections sometimes)I create the page and
put "blank page" in brackets. If a page is un-numbered
but affects the page sequence (sometimes the first
page of a chapter or the aforesaid blank pages) I also
out the page number in brackets.

Other than that, one just reads the book and if there
are scanning errors, e.g. the pronoun "I" sometimes
shows up as the number one (in both the last two books
I've worked on), the letter "m" in a word often shows
p as "ri", you correct it. I assume that's what you've
been doing.

One caveat -- be careful and think twice before using
Replace, to save time. You know the straight line
above the backward slant on the keyboard? It often
appears at the ends of lines, and in the past I've
successfully used Replace with nothing and gotten rid
of them all at once. However, in Second Generation
apparently I was using a font in which I couldn't tell
that from an el. When I did the Replace it took out
all the double els. It took a whole day to think of
all the words in the book that should have had double
els at the end or in the middle, Find them and replace
the ells (whoever reads the book, I think, and hope, I
got them all.).

Have fun validating. I prefer it to scanning -- easier
on my shoulders and hands. But there are so many books
that have been requested that I feel I should do both.
BTW, in case it makes any difference to you, you get a
lot more points toward membeship for scanning than you
do for validating -- which, administrators, as one who
has no stake in this, I don't think is fair, as
validating carefully takes a lot more time than
scanning.