[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning Books with Playing Card Pictures

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Oct 2006 21:50:33 -0700 (PDT)

Hi, Lora,

Your request sent me back to the 10 pages of card game
books in my library's online catalog, and the only
ones that weren't illustrated were one that was 1971
and a couple that were even older. So I guess
illustrations are "in." I wonder if television has
anything to do with the modern desire to illustrate
everything. smile

I also wonder exactly what "illustrated" means. From
what you said, I gather your book has
full-colorpicture of the cards. The bridge column in
the paper shows the hands with the suit symbol only
and the card number and letters.

I read Monica's post about reading with screen
readers.
Depending on the illustration you're going to
describe, maybe rather than write out each card, like
Ace of Clubs, you could do as in the paper, e.g.,
Diamonds: K,9,7,4,2  (to describe one suit in today[s
paper that West is holding.

If I can be of help, let me know. It may be that the
illustrations aren't really necessary because they
illustrate rather than clarify, if you know what I
mean. In some books that I've validated the
illustrations move the story along by showing things
that aren't told in the text, but in others they
simply illustrate what the text says.

Cindy R