[bksvol-discuss] Re: Scanning

  • From: "Jana Jackson" <jana@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 18 Jul 2005 18:56:08 -0500

Hi, Patti!  It's been a while since I've checked the scanner page on Freedom
Scientific.  I do remember that your scanner was listed as being one that
will work with Open Book.  I do seem to recall that it is not a particularly
fast alternative.  Sometimes the particular scanner does make a difference,
especially where missing words are concerned.

If you haven't tried it, you may want to play with the page contrast
settings.  Sometimes it helps to darken or lighten a page.  However, until
FS decides to implement some of the same features as K1K, you're likely to
continue to experience more junk characters than you would like.  No worries
though, because they can be eliminated by using the Find and Replace dialog.
You may want to consider saving your file in either Text or RTF, then
editing it in Word, since OpenBook has its own ideas about quotation marks,
etc., as illustrated here in the last couple of days. <Smile>

Last but not least, please don't lose heart.  Even with OpenBook's flaws,
you probably still have some options to make the scanning process easier and
less time-consuming for you.  If you don't want to fool with fixing all
those junk characters, feel free to submit it anyway, listing whatever you
know needs to be checked in the comments field.  Pre-validating is
preferable, of course, but it certainly isn't required, and only the most
masochistically perfectionistic among us actually fix everything before
submitting! <LOL>

Jana