[bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzling Problem

  • From: Mike <mlsestak@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 11:38:47 -0700

I number all pages of books I scan, even if they don't have numbers in the print version, except for pages before page 1. This is in the hope that the bookshare tools really work and at least for the DAISY version, if the page number is there you can jump to that page. If the page number isn't there, you can't go directly to it (it is left as an exercise of the reader to come up with a reason why you would want to jump directly to that page with only [blank page] on it). But, I just came up with a new situation that is truly odd--the pages one through eight are labeled with roman numerals (i through viii). Then from page nine on, they are arabic numbers (9 through 304). I guess I will leave it that way, but it sort of makes me feel schizophrenic to do that.

Misha

Lori Castner wrote:
Hi, Everyone,
I have a very minor puzzling situation in a book I'm proofreading. In one of the newer documents on what to do as a proofreader, it states that we are to number preliminary pages with lower case Roman numerals beginning with i. However, in this book I am proofing, the acknowledgments begin on IX (Roman numeral nine), but there are ten actual pages before the acknowledgments begin. One is a blank page which I can remove, but even so there will still be nine preliminary pages before the first page with a page number, Roman numeral nine. Do I begin my lower case numerals with zero--is there a Roman numeral for zero? And why are we numbering these unnumbered preliminary pages anyway? Bob, I'm waiting for a humorous answer from you, but also seriously what do I do when the number of unnumbered pages is greater than the lower case numerals? Lori C.