[bksvol-discuss] Re: Puzzling Problem

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 29 Aug 2009 05:05:09 -0700

Hi Lori,

    It isn't exact, but I have experienced what you are talking about.  I
just number backward from roman numeral ix and if there are pages before
roman numeral i, well, then, I just leave them unnumbered.

    Often there are pages before what the publisher seemed to consider the
first page of the book containing raves and things like that that they seem
not to consider pages.

    Why do we number the preliminary pages?  Because it makes sense, I
guess.  And I assume that if the publisher actually numbered a page ix, then
it seems sensible that said publisher considered, or even did (but they
didn't scan) number the pages before that page with the preceding roman
numerals.

    This is not a step required by bookshare.  Remember that bookshare only
requires that a book have all of its pages, an accurate copyright page and
title page, and 90% of page breaks, with the 90% of page numbers being in
the works to be required.  The rest of what we have written about in our
documentation for proofreading and scanning are the things that a concensus
of quite a few people consider the best way to create the most readable
books possible.  Since bookshare only requires the things I've mentioned
above, as Bob says, I guess the rest are just suggestions.

    I do want to say that a lot of experience and conversation did go into
creating the suggestions that we created. And we didn't decide anything just
because we felt like making more work for ourselves or for other people.

    I'm sorry everything isn't exact and set in stone. Or anywhere near
perfect in every single situation.

Mayrie

  _____