[bksvol-discuss] Re: OT: Apartment Leases

  • From: "E." <thoth93@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jul 2007 11:00:12 -0400

There is also the question of capable. You need to use licensed people for some things such as electricians or plumbers in many states. You cannot see details of your yard as a blind person which a capable worker with some independent initiative sees such as noticing things need weeding or trees need trimming. It is possible to end up with someone who is reliable about mowing a lawn but does not take it upon himself or herself to notice other things which need doing without being directly asked to do things. Directly asking can be difficult if you are blind because of course you will not notice.

E.
At 10:09 AM 7/22/2007, you wrote:
Hi E.,

I think I see your point.  Finding just the right person, or group of
people, to tend to various tasks around the house could be a challenge.
Some would likely try to do as little as possible, while others will prove
far more reliable.  And I imagine that once you find a reliable person, you
want to hang on to them.

And sometimes, judging someone's performance can only be done after they've
done the work, and you learn whether their standards were high or low based
on things like how soon you have to do maintenance on that thing again.  It
can be a costly proposition, in time, money, and quality of work.

I welcome any advice.  Although it'll be at least a year before I endeavor
to buy my own property, I'm definitely into long-range planning.