[bksvol-discuss] Re: Killers Wake by Bernard Cornwell -- Sorry, had to nuke it

  • From: "Mary Otten" <maryotten@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 14 Jun 2004 16:20:48 -0500

MIcky,
Please don't throw in the sponge. Some people do like to read the whole book as
they validate, but its certainly not necessary. Validators are only actually
required to make sure that the title, author and copyright info
as entered by the submitter conforms with that which is found in the book. And
they are suppose to make an effort to see that the book is complete. That might
mean looking at the end to make sure the whole thing
seems to be there. If page numbers are present in the submitted document, you
can use them to some extent to help ensure document completeness. For instance,
if you use K1000 or openbook or some other
program that tells you a page number, and you determine that physical page 1 of
the book starts on what your program is calling page 6, because the first 5
pages are preliminary material. Then you look at the last
page of the book's text, and determine that the page numbering offset is the
same, i.e. your program tells you a page that is 6 numbers ahead of the actual
page in the text, then its a good bet that the document is
complete. If its not, however, that doesn't mean there is text missing, because
its not uncommon for books to have blank page sides at the end of a chapter.
And so you could check around and see if that seems to
be the case. It sounds like you're doing a good job, though, and I certainly
hope you don't give up validating. Often, people strip headers on the documents
they  submit. You certainly don't want to nuke a book
because the person stripped its headers, most especialy if the book is just a
regular old novel, and especially given the fact that bookshare employs a
header stripper that's going to do it anyway, once the book has
been validated.  I think things can get blown out of proportion at times, and I
think this page number business is a case in point.
Mary