[bksvol-discuss] Re: Handling the M Dash

  • From: "Mayrie ReNae" <mayrierenae@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 2 Dec 2011 08:50:47 -0800

Hi Lori,

I'm sorry I haven't been clear about the em dashes.  It is absolutely not
necessary to convert them to two hyphens any more.  I'm sorry that we who
still convert them to two hyphens haven't been clear as to our reasons for
this, primarily because our screen readers read them more understandably
that way.  Let me assure you on this point.  The end result is that the em
dashes are converted by Bookshare's conversion tools to two hyphens to
comply with braille code.

In short, you do not have to change anything if you find em dashes in your
books.  Bookshare's tools do that for you.  I'll definitely be much, much
more careful when talking about this in future to emphasize that.  I'm sorry
I haven't been clear enough lately to state that those of us volunteers who
still make the change of em dashes to two hyphens do it completely
voluntarily for our own proofreading ease.

Mayrie