[bksvol-discuss] Re: Fractions in bookshare files for Braille readers

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 21 Jun 2010 17:35:42 -0500

Hi, Lori!

I just want to clarify, I will not quit proofing; I would just not be up to
doing a cookbook if I had to replace all the blanks in mixed fractions with
hyphens.  I would be utterly mired in it.  I only commented since Kim said it
was annoying and I believe she is the one who requested Bakewise.  I wrote
Melissa and hopefully they would consider having three stages for Cookbooks; a
scanner a sighted proofreader and then allowing that product to be proofed by a
Braille reader to ensure both copies could meet needs.  In other owrds, one
format for Braille readers and the other for sighted.

Cookbooks can be so incredibly tough already, having to modify something that
cannot safely be done universally would put a tremendous burden on a
proofreader.  I hear both parties and this seems to be a first case I see where
it is simply too much to ask of a proofreader.

Valerie