[bksvol-discuss] Re: For wish list: more books by Elie Weisel

  • From: Valerie Maples <vlmaples@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 27 Mar 2010 00:25:23 -0500

Someone told us that there is an actual standard because of the grant that
rates books based on word frequencies and situations that cause them to
generate the adult material designation. I do believe the F. word is one of the
ones that is considered serious and is an automatic designation. A series of
moderate occurrences can also generate the adult designation. It makes sense
that there would be a criterion with so many books being available to young
readers so that it would remove accidental inappropriate downloads.

Having said that, apparently there were a couple of books that could find no
reason for those designations, those they allowed a proofreader to remove it if
there was absolutely no risk to young readers. I'm not trying to start a
controversy here, just state what I was told how the adult designation came to
be utilized. As a parent, even though Nichole is not completely independent in
downloading, I am grateful that there is some boundary. It is easy enough for a
child to get an exemption with parental approval.

Valerie