[bksvol-discuss] Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Bookshare Volunteers <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 11 Nov 2007 07:55:30 -0500

I've been thinking about how I'm doing some children's books and am wondering about something. With the education grant, we'll have more young readers soon. How much detail should be put into describing the pictures in the books for young readers? I guess I don't know if young children will read these books or if blind parents will be reading these books to their young children. What I'm thinking is that my picture descriptions may end up using words that are more complicated than the text, and that might confuse young children who are learning to read in Braille. On the other hand, children who are listening to the books would understand the descriptions, and I could be more detailed. I could use some feedback from those of you who work on children's books or from our teachers who are on the list. Thanks for any help you can offer.

Monica Willyard