[bksvol-discuss] Re: Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: Grandma Cindy <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:57:37 -0800 (PST)

Good idea. I've done that when the names of the kids
in the picture are evident from the text, and
sometimes that itself indicates ethnicity.

In the case of Latinos or Hispanics--and I forget
which is the preferable term--one has to be careful,
because they aren't all Mexican, and those from
Central American hate being called Mexican and vice
versa, as I learned when working in ESL. Pride of
country is important. And I can't tell from appearance
what Asian country a person is from. I think the
safest thing is a more general term, if names cannot
be used.

It sounds like your girls are having fun with the
project. That's great.

G. Cindy