[bksvol-discuss] Re: Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 16:45:07 -0800

For what it's worth, I think books for very young children would have to be
read by blind parents because the books would be in grade II braille and I
don't think little ones would appreciate reading in synthetic speech. And if
I'm right, I don't think really young children who are sighted would appreciate
a book without pictures, even if there were written descriptions, and I doubt
if they were blind the written descriptions pictures would mean much to them. I
know this sounds negative and it is why I have never been enthusiastic about
children's books where pictures are so important. I know of at least two
sources where books have both braille, print and the pictures with their
descriptions which I consider to be far more appropriate for young children.
Bookshare doesn't need to try to fill every niche in my opinion. I'm expecting
a lot of opposition to this opinion, however.