[bksvol-discuss] Re: Describing Pictures In Children's Books

  • From: "Jamie Yates, CPhT" <jamieyates@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 12 Nov 2007 15:07:24 -0800 (PST)

And sometimes, too, Cindy, you don't know a person's ethnicity just from their
color. Not all people who are black are "African-American".

  I ask myself the same questions all of the time when I have a children's
book, Cindy. I could easily spend more time describing pictures than scanning
or proofing the rest of the book. How much is enough? How much is too much? I
don't think I've ever stated the color of the people in a picture before
because I usually feel like it's not important. But Ann (I think it was Ann)
made a good point about that being important information.

  And Lissi made a good point about the descriptions being at the same reading
level as the book. I've never considered that before.

Jamie in Michigan
Currently Reading - Shattered Dreams: My Life as a Polygamist's Wife by Irene
Spencer
With Skype you can make free calls over the Internet. Skype ? the whole world
can talk for free