[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare Housekeeping Suggestion

  • From: "Jill O'Connell" <jillocon@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 19:54:41 -0700

Cindy, The submitter has the ability to change the rating before submitting so doesn't have to reject the book at all. ----- Original Message ----- From: "Grandma Cindy" <popularplace@xxxxxxxxx>

To: <bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Monday, August 27, 2007 6:40 PM
Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare Housekeeping Suggestion

I think that's an excellent idea!! And maybe the
submitters of Fair books will, as you say, wonder why
their books aren't being validated and will check to
see if the rating is accurate. My understanding is
that Fair is a default rating and if the submitter
doesn't change it... THe submitter can check and if
the rating is wrong because he/she has prevalidated,
he/she can reject and resubmit.

Cindy

--- Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

   Fellow volunteers, I would like to offer a
suggestion for your
consideration.  In the past, we have occasionally
discussed needing to
tackle the books that linger on step 1.  I
personally felt bad about
people having submitted books that weren't being
processed. However, I
have come to believe that my efforts were misguided
and focused in the
wrong direction.  I believe there may be a better,
more effective  way
to focus our attention as a group.  When I looked
last night, there were
405 books awaiting validation on the step 1 page.
By looking at the
Books In Process list, it is easy to see which books
are rated as
excellent.  I'd like to propose a deliberate shift
of our focus so we
can process books rated excellent first.  The people
submitting
excellent scans have taken time to proofread their
work, and they
shouldn't have to wait for approval while we eek out
a decent read from
a raw scan rated fair.  Once we process many of the
excellent books, we
could turn to working on the books rated good to see
if they can be
improved.  What do I think we should do with the
older books rated fair
or good on step 1?  For now, I vote that we leave
them there like we
might leave paperwork in a drawer until we have time
to read it.
They'll sink to the bottom of the download list and
will be easier to
find later.  Careful submitters would be rewarded by
responsive approval
times.  Those who consistently produce raw,
illegible scans may enquire
about what happened to their books and could be
diplomatically directed
to the list or chat room for some tailored help in
improving scan quality.

What do you all think?  Could we work together and
get some really nice
scans processed over the next couple of months?  Do
you see any wholes
in my thinking?  As it stands now, I am not going to
touch a book that
is rated good or fair until we have gotten or step 1
page down to 200
books awaiting attention.  I'm willing to
re-evaluate this decision if
any of you see a serious flaw with this.

Monica Willyard