[bksvol-discuss] Re: Bookshare Housekeeping Suggestion

  • From: Monica Willyard <rhyami@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2007 22:24:54 -0400

You're right, Mickey. It is the default unless a submitter changes it. I can see how those would get lumped in with bad scans. We have a fairly small number of active validaters at any given time, and I want to find a way to use our resources well. I posted about my thinking because it has been a value shift for me, one I have thought over for a few months now. I think we're in a growth spurt, and we've got a lot of really good submitters. I don't want to lose them by letting their books sit while we pour our time into low-quality scans where no attempt at correction has been made. I think I'm sounding somewhat harsh or judgmental. That isn't my intent. I have been watching the step 1 page and am sometimes frustrated that I can't do more to help get books processed. Many of the poor scans are done by the elusive "Bookshare volunteer" so there is nothing I can do in terms of offering these submitters my help or get missing or garbled pages. My compulsion toward neatness and closure probably gets me to thinking about solving way too many things. (grin)

Monica Willyard

mickey wrote:
Hi, Monica.
Only one problem I can see with your good suggestion. The default is poor when a book is submitted. I've taken some books rated poor which were really excellent to good scans. I've taken several books rated poor, to see if I can either fix them or reject them.