[bksvol-discuss] Re: An alternative to validating fair quality submissions

  • From: Mayrie ReNae <mrenae@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 09:43:01 -0800

Hi Ilene,

I like your idea about Bookshare ceasing to accept fair submissions. This topic comes up again and again. If the tool which ranks the accuracy of a book were implemented during the submission process as well as at the end of the process, fair rated books could be eliminated. Not sure if it will ever change, but I, for one, would love to see it happen.

Peace,
Mayrie

At 08:31 AM 1/12/2008, you wrote:
I certainly sympathize with this suggestion, but I do have a problem with it. The problem is that so far, book are not supposed to be rejected because they are rated fair. If they were, we wouldn't have the fair rating allowed in the first place. If a validator who is also a scanner rejects the original scanner's fair book and then submits a scan of her own, she takes away the original scanner's credits, no matter how undeserved they might be in terms of book quality, and gives them to herself. This is not your intention, but this is what happens.

If Bookshare wants to have more excellent scans it has to go to the root of the problem and not allow people to submit fair scans, or maybe even good ones although that's more debatable I suppose. Yes, some scanners may drop out if they're held to a higher responsibility, so that has to be part of the consideration of this matter. But if excellent books is what we are after, the original rules have to be tougher. If just getting as many books as possible is the goal, then fair scans have to stay. Personally, I'd vote for a slower groth rate and a higher quality.

There's my two cents' worth.

Ilene