[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult rating

  • From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Jun 2004 09:14:51 -0500

Right on!  and until 25 years of age, young kids should be protected from
harm:  no going to war,  no XXX, no alcohol,  and of course no work: after
all,  if they are not old enough to  decide what to protect themselves
from and what to have fun with,  they should not be asked to contribute to
society either.

Aloysius

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

Dilsiaa@xxxxxxx
06/08/2004 05:51 AM
Please respond to
bksvol-discuss

BksVol-Discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
cc

Subject
[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult rating

Hi fellas:

   We can use the the labeling for adult content the music and movie
industry has: PA Parental Advisory, E explicit language, S for sex, N for
nudity. I am a member of a music club and before you buy they have these
letters and a key for their meaning before you decide to buy it.

Guido I agree with you 100%, I read an article in Time magazine about kids
and teens and the age for a full development of brain and body is 25
years.

Very truly yours
Dilsia A. Martinez Rivera
Villalba PR

Subject: [bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult rating
From: Guido Corona <guidoc@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Jun 2004 14:19:01 -0500

I concur.  The term 'adult' is open to interpretations.  Someone may
decide to flag the novels of Lawrence Sanders as 'adult' only because
there is a lot of boozing in them.  Or someone may disagree with a
particular religious view and flag another book as adult.  And what about
the books of Stephen J. Gould on evolutionary biology?  I suspect that
some people may want to flag those as 'adult' and limit their circulation.

So,  let us just be specific on what the book contains and for the rest.
. . caveat emptor!
Not to talk about the bizarre racist thriller novels by Andrew macDonald,
like The Turner Diaries.  Just warn the viewer and let them decide if they

are worth reading.

Guido

Guido D. Corona
IBM Accessibility Center,  Austin Tx.
IBM Research,
Phone:  (512) 838-9735
Email: guidoc@xxxxxxxxxxx

Visit my weekly Accessibility WebLog at:
http://www-3.ibm.com/able/weblog/corona_weblog.html

The tragedy is not that things are broken.  The tragedy is that they are
not mended again. -- Alan Patton, Cry the Beloved Country, Scribner
Paperback Fiction

The most difficult part of getting to the top of the ladder is getting
through the crowd at the bottom. -- Arch Ward, Promoter and sports editor

Better twice measured than once wrong. -- Danish Proverb