[bksvol-discuss] Re: Adult rating

  • From: Noel Romey <ner@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: bksvol-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 08 Jun 2004 18:59:57 -0500

The problem that I see is taht not everyone will want to analyze whether or not a book is "smewhat violent" or "violent" etc. Some people would much rather just mark the book as adult and leave it at that; readers who can read adult books are adult or have already gotten approval as adults (with parent permission). Though you may think something is rather objective to me is not. To Me, the way I see something as being violent or sexual may be different than another person. Writing in the synopsis, in my opinion, adds too many variables that we don't need to mess wtih. This is why I think Peter wanted us to put things in the review system, because then that would allow the reviewer or reader to offer their objective opinion, and I could offer mine if I'd read the book. Its only one more click.

Which brings up another point, should we use the review system more? Maybe put it in the bookshare newsletter that its available?

All the best.

Ner
At 06:50 PM 6/8/2004, you wrote:
    I agree. What would be wrong with simply adding a phrase like "some
strong language" to the Long Synopsis? That would be much quicker than
waiting till the book becomes part of the collection, and then writing a
review.

    I thought the synopses were related to the content of a book, while
reviews relate more to someone's opinion about the book. If that's correct,
then it does seem appropriate to add brief notations about violence,
profanity or sexual content to a synopsis.

Regards,
Paula