[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "'BIRDKY'" <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 22 Jun 2014 21:17:18 -0500

We were away for half of the weekend, so we missed a number of regulars.
Our count was down as a result though, as I write this, the first GHO that
we've heard in many weeks is booming from the oak tree near the pond
thicket.

The Mockingbirds have kept us busy chasing them out of our blue berries.  We
really enjoy them in spite of the fight.  They aren't the slightest bit
concerned about us, or the fake hawk that we've employed to warn them away.
They've been on my mind recently, mostly because of our blueberry battles
and the fact that there are several singing within earshot of the house
nearly all day.  Several weeks ago, I started a list of the songs in their
repertoire that I recognize and I included it at the bottom here (at the
moment it stands at 13).  There is one of them that does a great woodpecker
and cycles through Red bellied, Redheaded, Flicker, throwing in other birds
like Towhee and Cardinal, along with other "nonsense" that I don't get.
Tonight was the first that I heard bits of Cuckoo in its song.  Often it
sticks with one song long enough that I have to stop to confirm that it is
indeed a Mockingbird, which seems unusual.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

Species Name:

Northern Bobwhite

Mallard