[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: Stephen Tyson <kytysons9152@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: BirdKY <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 23 Jul 2023 18:15:11 -0500

We counted 54 species, here at the house, this weekend.  I feel like that’s a fairly good number considering that we missed Red-headed Woodpecker, Great Blue Heron, and Cooper’s Hawk, which would normally be a sure thing on a summer weekend, here.This is our FOS weekend report of Yellow Warblers, several of which are in the thicket now.  My theory that these are dispersing juveniles fell apart when I spotted a lovely adult male, yesterday morning.  Our big highlight was our first-of-season Least Flycatcher that I found feeding quietly in the bottom of the old pond depression, yesterday morning. It was nearby again this morning. They are remarkably inconspicuous when not calling or singing and I only noticed it in the low brushy vegetation because I was half looking for it. eBird didn’t think it should be here, yet, but this is the fourth consecutive year that we’ve found them here, in July. I wonder if there are actually more of them in Kentucky, at this time of year, but they are so tiny, quiet and secretive, that we just miss them?
I got photos of the Least, and then Kingbirds, a short time later so, I decided to go for photos of all of the Flycatchers on our list.  I got an Eastern Wood Pewee later yesterday and I got photos of a Great Crested feeding its brood (in a still-bearing wild cherry tree), this morning, to make all four.  I can’t figure out how to output my trip reports to a spreadsheet, so I’ll just link to the trip report, below, where you can see the list and photos.I continue to see at least one Catbird in the thicket.  It’s completely silent so, if I don’t see it, I miss it.I’ve noticed a few ripe pokeberries in the thicket and watched a female Bluebird carrying one to feed to nestlings in the old oak snag, this morning. The elderberries are also nearly ready.  We’ve had more than eight inches of rain since a very-dry June, so there should be a bumper crop of berries and the birds will soon a have a feast.  Frank Lyne recently mentioned the possibility that his Purple Martins are commuting to a Communal Roost somewhere and I’m wondering if ours are too. In past years, the adults disappeared soon after the young ones fledged. The juveniles would hang around for several weeks before getting scarce, too.  Typically, at this time of year, they are not gone completely but are never around at dawn and dusk. This year, they’ve ALL been scarce since the juveniles first appeared. I see a smattering of them until about an hour before sunset and then, in the morning they cruise past, high overhead, from the direction of Bowling Green.

230723 - Weekend List - eBird Trip Reportebird.org

Stephen (Steve) Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

PNG image