[birdky] Schochoh, Logan Co., weekend list

  • From: "Debby & Steve Tyson" <tyson9152@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Aug 2015 20:50:08 -0500

At 41 species, we had the same count as the comparable weekend last year.
We too could tell that the fall migration is starting. We saw Blue-gray
Gnatcatchers literally everywhere, all weekend, including two in the same
tree multiple times. I saw a Warbling Vireo several times today.

Tree Swallows were absent entirely, but we counted Cliff Swallows for the
second weekend in a row.

This afternoon, I was admiring a Blue Grosbeak that has been singing in the
dead oak snag across the road, when a Bluebird landed within about a foot of
the Grosbeak. It stayed long enough for a photo, which I posted to Flickr -
links below. I also posted a photo of a Red-headed Woodpecker that was
preening on the same oak snag earlier this morning. And lastly, I posted a
blurry photo of the Leucistic Red-tail, sitting on a limb next to its mate.
It was digi-scopeed at about 2/3 mile, so the quality is really poor, but
the white bird was sitting with it wings draped, vulture style, apparently
trying to warm in the early sun. It was opposite from the sunrise and the
brilliant white caught my eye. In fact, it overexposed in the photo.

Stephen Tyson, Schochoh, Logan Co., KY

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/19617858504/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/20241116765/in/dateposted-public/

https://www.flickr.com/photos/91780057@N05/20053157670/in/dateposted-public/