[birdky] Migrants

  • From: David Roemer <dlroemer@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: bird ky <birdky@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 21 May 2010 05:50:20 -0700 (PDT)

McElroy Lake in southern Warren County continues to rise slowly into the
growing corn.  Shorebird numbers have been lower the past few days at the lake
as there is now even less habitat for them to rest and feed.   Several of the
fields in the Woodburn area still have a lot of water standing and as these
ponds recede shorebirds have been feeding in them.  Blue-winged Teal, coots,
both yellowlegs, Spotted, Solitary and Least Sandpipers are present daily.
Least Sandpipers still outnumber Semipalmated at most spots.  Other recent
sightings of interest are listed below.

MCELROY
Northern Shoveler (2)
Ring-necked Duck (still present 20 May)
Black-bellied Plover (5)
Stilt Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher (~25)

FLOODED FIELD/HWY 240
Redhead (2 males present through at least 19 May)

MENG POND
American Pipit (2)

I heard a distant Whimbrel call at McElroy but never saw the bird.  Given the
mostly clear skies and 30+ mph southerly winds on this date it likely continued
on its northward journey without stopping.

14 May
The morning began nicely as I spotted an adult Peregrine Falcon preening in a
dead tree near my house along Drakes Creek.

MCELROY
Semipalmated Plover
Short-billed Dowitcher (~25)

16 May
MCELROY
Hooded Merganser (4 females still present 20 May)
Black-necked Stilt (3)
Pectoral Sandpiper
Stilt Sandpiper
Short-billed Dowitcher (~70)

17 May
MCELROY
Gadwall (2 still present 20 May)
Short-billed Dowitcher (~30)

POND IN FIELD ACROSS ROAD FROM NORTH END OF MCELROY
Black-bellied Plover (4)
Semipalmated Plover (~30)
Dunlin (~80)
Black Tern

MENG POND
American Pipit (2)
Savannah Sparrow

18 May
MCELROY
Northern Shoveler
Great Egret
Short-billed Dowitcher (~60)

FIELD ACROSS FROM MCELROY
Black-bellied Plover (6)
White-rumped Sandpiper
Dunlin (80+)
Common Tern (5 fly-over)

19 May
MCELROY
Short-billed Dowitcher (~15)
Forster's Tern

WKU FARM/POND ALONG BENNETT LANE ACROSS FROM WOODS
I spent a long time enjoying a migrating flock of swallows that was present
with all Kentucky species represented.  In this flock was a solidly dark brown
bird (including underparts) that appeared to be a melanistic Northern
Rough-winged Swallow.  I obtained some poor photos given the seemingly
ever-present gray overcast skies in southern Ky.  I then spent some time in the
woods with warblers when the sun came out.  When I went back to the pond to
attempt to obtain some better images the flock was gone.  The bird was similar
in size and structure to a rough-winged but I will do some research on possible
vagrant species.  I did not hear it call.

20 May

Began the day with a Red-headed Woodpecker in the yard next door, always one of
my favorite birds.  I rarely see these in Warren County anymore.

WKU WOODS
The woods was especially nice this morning with a good number of migrants
present.  Species of interest included:

Swainson's Thrush
Tennessee Warbler
Yellow Warbler
Chestnut-sided
Magnolia
Blackburnian
Pine
Blackpoll
Redstart
Mourning (2 males singing with great looks at one)
Common Yellowthroat
Wilson's
Chat

FIELD ACROSS FROM MCELROY
Black-bellied Plover
Dunlin (~30)

BARREN COUNTY/PM
BARREN DAM
DC Cormorant (2)
Osprey
Bald Eagle (adult)

DEARING ROAD/BON AYR
Sandhill Crane (resident injured bird "Broken-Wing" with another crane that
appeared uninjured.

David Roemer
Bowling Green