[beports] Re: [RFC] cURL patch

  • From: Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx>
  • To: beports@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 May 2008 17:08:06 +0200

On 2008-05-24 at 09:36:58 [+0200], Andreas Färber <andreas.faerber@xxxxxx > wrote:
Please add your Acked-by: when you've reviewed it.

Do you use some tool that requires it?

No. I believe the Linux kernel developers started this convention and it's slowly spreading to other projects. It helps keep a searchable record of who was involved in a patch/contribution. The maintainers won't read this mailing list to find out it's been reviewed by others, so while there are no strict requirements on numbers of acks, it gives the maintainers an indication that it's not completely bogus.

It may not be required for cURL but it doesn't hurt either. Consider it a general suggestion for outgoing patches on this list: Rather than not objecting, actively ack it. Of course this applies to anyone reading the patch, no BePorts account required. And comments are, as always, welcome.

I admit I often only check where to send/submit them afterwards. Subversion however seem to take the buddy system very seriously: http://subversion.tigris.org/project_issues.html (the worst system I have stumbled upon...)

Andreas
--
BePorts homepage - http://tools.assembla.com/BePorts