atw: Re: volume of text per step

  • From: "Bob Trussler" <bob.trussler@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 Sep 2008 16:43:59 +1000

Matt,
The two conditionals should be put into their own dot points.
 Step 4 needs to be laid out so a user can quickly find their place.  This
can be done using bullets.
Note that there is a soft line break to seperate the question and the
instruction.  This enables a reader to read the question only then, if
needed, they can skip to the next bullet.

*Is the Open "EAT_registrations" screen the same as the **Login** screen?
        If so, why the different names?*

I have edited your example.  Sorry but I got carried away.

--------------------

1.    In the Open Remote File screen, at the Hosts pane (on the left),
       select the Production server - *fmx01.ucc.usyd.edu.au*

2.    At the Available Files pane (on the right-hand side), select *
EAT_registrations*

3.    Click *Open*

*  *[[[ screen shot ]]]

    The Open "EAT_registrations" screen displays with
    Account Name and Password selected by default.

*        ???  is the **Open "EAT_registrations" screen the same as the **
Login screen?
        If so, why the different names?*

4.    At the Password field, type in your password.

   - If it is the first attempt to access the database,
   use the password supplied by the database administrator.
   - If it is not the first attempt,
   use your UniKey password.

5.    Click *OK*

 ---------------------------
A few further points while I am at it.

In step 1, the order of the items mentioned must be in the order a user
would find them. So the first has to be the screen title, then the pane,
then the field.

The font I use for the screen titles and names is Arial and it must be
EXACTLY as shown on the real screen.  I use Arial because most screens use
it, or something similar, and thus it adds to the EXACTLY as shown aspect.

The word that you type in, or the thing that you select, can be *Arial
bolded*.  This avoids messy quotes, and the possible wrath of Lynn Truss.
This aids a person who knows the process and is scanning for the next
important thing to do.

Notice that there is no full-stop (period) at the end of the sentence when
the sentence ends in something you type or select.  This is because, from my
experience as a trainer, some people would type in the word or phrase and
then type in the full-stop as well.  I am not making this up.

After the screen shot, you can describe what happens.  This is usually 'The
BBBBB screen displays'.  If you use this format, the screen title must be
exactly as displayed.
This is when you can add the comment about one field being selected by
default.

I would usually put one process in a step, unless the second process is
simple,
like  ... and press *ENTER*

What are the numbers on the screen shot for?  Are they the numbers of the
steps?

Of course, you don't have to like my styles.
I think I need a cup of tea after that.
Bob T

--
Bob Trussler