atw: Re: volume of text per step

  • From: Janice Gelb <Janice.Gelb@xxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 08 Sep 2008 16:35:36 +1000

On  8/09/08 03:02 PM, Matthew da Silva wrote:
Maybe including the example will help.

0. Click Open...

   The Open Remote File screen is displayed.

*1. *Select the Production server (fmx01.ucc.usyd.edu.au) in the left-hand (Hosts) pane of the Open Remote File screen.

1. Select the Production server (fmx01.ucc.usyd.edu.au) in the
 left-hand (Hosts) pane.

*2.    *Select EAT_registrations in the right-hand (Available Files) pane.

*3.    *Click Open.

004_login_screen.tif

*1. *‘Account Name and Password’ is selected by default on the login screen.

This is not a step, it's a description, so I would place it
as an explanatory paragraph under "Click Open."

*2. *Type your password in the field provided. (If it is the first attempt to access the database, use the password supplied by the database administrator. If it is not the first attempt, use your UniKey password.)

4. Type your UniKey password in the Password field.

   If this is your first attempt to access the database, use the
   password you received from the database administrator.

   For more information about establishing a UniKey password, see...

*3.    *Click OK.

My question is as to the suitability of the two ‘conditionals’ in step 5.

I don't think the conditionals are necessary in this example.
Presumably, readers need this procedure much more often after
they have already established their own password and have
already accessed the database more than once.

However, to answer the more general question, we use step alternatives
for conditionals, which appear as bulleted list items under the step.

-- Janice