atw: Re: file naming conventions - Long one (also posted to TECHWR-L)

  • From: "SUNTER Bede" <Bede_SUNTER@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 3 Nov 2004 19:16:03 +1100

Hi Nancy,

I think you might need to establish some context here -- remember that do=
cument control (and by extension, file version control) is principally ab=
out risk management. So:
If you are staging documents on an intranet -- keep the same file names, =
otherwise you will end up in a nightmare of broken links; put the version=
=20number on the index page; make sure the version number displays promin=
ently on the document as it opens.=20
Intranets themselves are a form of version control (at least from the end=
-users' point of view) because only the current version is available.

By contrast, documents on your file server should have a version number i=
n the file name as you will assumedly have more than one version resident=
=20in the same folder at a given time -- for fallback as you have mention=
ed yourself. The simple convention is to attach an integer to the end of =
the file name: filename1.doc, filename2.doc ... etc. You can two-tier thi=
s with an alpha character: filename1a.doc, if needed.

If you need to link to file-server resident documents, link to the folder=
=20not the file.

If you are sending documents out for review, embed the version in the fil=
ename and instruct your reviewers to do the same. When you send it out as=
=20filename1.doc, they send it back edited as filename1a.doc or filename1=
_1.doc ... whatever.

If you have a version number displayed on the document itself, this does =
not need to change every time you edit. Edit-version numbers go in the fi=
le name. However, the displayed version should change every time the docu=
ment-file leaves your hands: for example, when you send it out for review=
=20more than once and to more than one reviewer (if you work for the gove=
rnment, this is the rule not the exception).

Well, there's a long answer to a long post. I hope it helps and is releva=
nt to your query. Feel free to contact me off-list for more information.

Bede