atw: Re: file naming conventions - Long one (also posted to TECHWR-L)

  • From: "Nancy Rose" <nancyrose73@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Nov 2004 13:10:07 +1100

Good Point Bill and thanks Warren for your feedback,

FYI - I don't actually stick to the 8.3 rule (unless using old versions of
HDK :-) but it is something that came up in the discussions.

I do use version numbers on my own docs (depending on the document). I have
been asked to remove the version number so that links don't have to be
updated. Also, (and yes proprer version control software would probably fix
this) I have other writers (non-tech writers) who will need to be convinced.

What if you used the versioning then, when posting/publishing the documents,
you remove the version number from the filename (ensuring that the Document
Properties are up-to-date and contain the correct version number. I suppose
my way of looking at this is that when we implement the Document Conrol
system, we can take advantage of the version number in the doc. properties.

Any thoughts?