atw: accreditation survey Why not be radical and use something that works?

  • From: "erisa linsky" <slinkah@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: austechwriter@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Nov 2004 01:13:37 +1100

Andrea, I am terribly sorry to offend you, because I know you are a highly
intelligent person, and I respect you enormously.  Please accept my apology
if I have offended you by my criticism of the survey.

Perhaps I was in a rush and didn't gauge the effect of my comments, however,
honestly, the point is, I believe intelligence is the primary thing we have
to offer.

There are many people more knowledgeable than me in writing templates,
macros, transferring one type of document or media display to another,
creating on-line and web based help...........and I fully respect that.   I
respect their skills, and that, by and large, they are very intelligent
people.

I am a different type of beast.  I am more of a technical author, an
analyst, a procedures person, I have been in the IT industry for many years
as a programmer, systems analyst, technology journalist, consultant etc.

The ASTC survey didnt really take my type of skills into account.   (And
there are many of us.)

So, what I am saying is...........dont cut out this half of the tech writer
population as qualified to act.

I work with systems engineers and other techos who aren't necessarily that
bright.  (Some are quite briliiant but........ )  Hey, they're mostly Ok,
but not the rocket scientists they would have us believe.  Mostly they can't
structure, or manage things.  But I respect the skills they have got. (
Although I am concerned at the degradation of the professions within the IT
industry).

I hang out and absorb their knowledge, going for the relevant bits,
extrapolating the significance of things, for whatever projects are
underway, and write the issues into a report of some kind, so that everyone
relevant can understand.   I write for the technos, (from other techos),
and from the techos to management.  I work as the go between, balancing the
opinions of various consultants and stakeholders to produce reports, and
propose strategies, policies etc.  I work as an individual or in a team or
small duo/trio.

I am called a technical writer...........even if I'm really something else.
( A low paid consultant/),  If so, I am happy to continue as such.

Anyhow, all our careers are at risk from the vast amorphous facisti!

They are out there, going after the money that these jobs provide.  They
will do the certifications and then create industry certified abuse as they
have done in most other professions.

The thing about IQ tests is................You can always have another go.
         You CAN accidentally get a low reading! ....................You
CANT accidentally get a high reading!  We have nothing to fear from these
tests.  They aren't perfect, but they're the best thing we've got to protect
this profession.    They are less easily bought with money than a university
degree.   Why not be radical and use something that works?

Remember, the human race is getting  less intelligent............... again,
that's why we're needed.

Re sacred cows.
Why is an IQ test offensive?
Is it not equally offensive to call someone unqualified?

Regards,
Erisa

erisalinsky@xxxxxxxxxxx
Tech writer/Procedures Analyst
0407 811 937 02 6286 8959 (Canberra)
Box 4051, University of Melbourne, Parkville, Vic 3052 Australia